Thanks to Sir Mix A Lot, whenever I think about Red Beans & Rice, I automatically associate it with big butts. And naturally, I have to sing the song. My kids are still young enough to think that this is funny. My husband, however rolls his eyes, because I guess after a million and one times singing, “I Like Big Butts,” he’s over it. BUT he does like big butts. So, you’d think he’d be happy I was singing his theme song. Rude.
This recipe for Slow Cooker Vegetarian Red Beans & Rice doesn’t have any sausage added to it, so it may not make your booty as big as you’d like, but it may add pounds to your tummy because it’s so tasty that you will stuff yourself silly.
I also like to use this recipe to clean out my fridge of any leftover veggies. Chop up whatever you have and add them to the crock pot during the last hour of cooking to veggie this dish up!
- 1 pound dry kidney beans, washed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 bell pepper, diced
- 7 cups of vegetable stock
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire
- 2½ teaspoons creole seasoning. I like Tony Chachere’s the best!
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 cups uncooked rice. Cooked according to package.
- Put all ingredients, except rice, into slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 7-8 hours.
- Add ½ cup a water at a time, as needed.
- During the last two hours of cooking add extra veggies if you wish. I’ve added: eggplant, zucchini, carrots, squash, mushrooms. Anything that’s at it limit of expired produce gets thrown in
- Serve over hot, cooked rice. I love the way brown rice taste with the beans!