It’s the end of September which means fall themed recipes are making their way to Serving Up The Skinny. What’s a Fall Recipe without pumpkin? This Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls recipe is absolutely delish. You won’t be able to eat just one. Trust.
They have everything you need to make a great dessert. Sugar? Yes. Butter? Yes. Cream Cheese? Yes.
Don’t feel guilty about making them. You have a whole hour to watch the dough rise which means you can squeeze in an extra work out session before they’re done. In our case we were able to squeeze in a new episode of Covert Affairs.
Like This Fall Recipe? Please pin it!
- ¼ c. warm water
- 2½ tsp yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- ½ c. milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 c. canned pumpkin puree
- ⅓ c. butter, melted
- ½ c. sugar
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ¼ tsp cloves
- 1 tsp salt
- 5-6 c. flour
- ⅔ c – 1 c. canned pumpkin puree (to your preference)
- ½ c. butter, room temperature
- 1 c. packed brown sugar
- 2 T cinnamon
- *optional: ¾ c. raisins, ½ c. chopped walnuts or pecans
- Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 T butter
- ½ tsp vanilla
- 2 – 2½ c. powdered sugar
- Combine warm water, yeast, and teaspoon of sugar in small bowl. Stir until yeast is dissolved. Let stand until froth doubles.
- In mixer fitted with dough hook, combine milk, eggs, pumpkin, butter, the ½ c. sugar, nutmeg, salt, and cloves. Mix until smooth (you can mix by hand, but it takes awhile. Just keep mixing!).
- Add 4 cups flour to mixing bowl. Pour frothed yeast mixture on top of flour. Knead about 5 minutes, adding flour ½ c. at a time until dough barely begins to clean the sides of the mixing bowl. Dough should be smooth and moist, but not sticky.
- Spray a bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Place dough in greased bowl. Cover with wet towel, or plastic wrap sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Allow to raise until doubled, about 1-2 hours.
- While dough is raising, prepare filling. Place room temperature butter and pumpkin puree in small bowl. Using electric mixer, beat until mixture is smooth. In another small bowl combine brown sugar and cinnamon, set both bowls aside.
- Pour dough out on slightly floured surface. Roll into a rectangle 16×21 inches, dough should be about ¼ inch thick. Spread the pumpkin/butter mixture over rectangle. Next, evenly spread the sugar/cinnamon mixture on top, slightly pressing it into the dough.
- Roll up long side of dough, forming long tube. Cut tube with sharp knife about every 2 inches, making 12 rolls. Place rolls in lightly greased 9×13 baking pan. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Bake rolls in oven until golden brown, about 15-20 minutes. While rolls are baking, beat together cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, and vanilla extract to make frosting. Spread frosting on warm rolls before serving.
This recipe was adapted from Compliments To The Chef.